Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"But I don't know how to fight. All I know how to do is stay alive" (Walker, 18).

Instantly my heart cried for Celie. How could someone abuse their daughter like that? My first thought is how can I teach this in a classroom? The first pages is so disturbing and graphic? Do you have any suggestions?

Celie is so very submissive. She doesn't fight at all. It is because there is no respect for her. She has very little respect for herself as well. Her faith tells her that if she is agreeable on earth her life in heaven will make up for it. This is one instance where I feel that religion is stifling. I would hate to live as a black woman in the south during these days. "The sheriff know how women is, anyhow" (Walker, 88) Women are considered crazy, hot headed, and need to be beat to become submissive. Men should be in control. How horrible?! Sofia stood up against this and she wound up in jail. Not only because she stood up against sexism but also racism. I am interested to see if she continues to fight for her believes or will prison force her to love her gusto?

Albert's sister Kate is considered on old maid at 25 (Walker, 21). I thought that was interesting. How would I be considered in those days. I am 23 and unmarried! I know that times were different but i thought it was revealing of the way that women lived then. Women were wives.

First time I think about the world" (Walker, 58). Celie has struggled to survive all of the abuse in her life. She barely has had time to think about a whole world going on around her. This is the first time in the book that i feel she is comfortable with her life and accepts what she is given. Do you think that she sees more of herself in this great world?

The first time love comes into play (Walker, 64). Sofia is in love or was in love with Harpo. This idea must be foreign to Celie. I don't think anyone has showed her love. Her life is one of service. I found it interesting that she acknowledges her place as a housemaid. There is a tension between love and power to voice you opinion.

"What did he beat you for?" "For being me and not you" (Walker, 75). The relationship with Shug Avery, Albert and Celie is an odd one. Shug loves Albert, Albert loves Shug, and I think that Celie loves Shug as well. I think that Albert is upset for losing his love early on in life and takes it out on Celie. I think that Celie loves Shug because men repulse her because every encounter with a man has been harsh, abusive, and unloving. Also, Shug represents a beauty that she does not possess. She is strong, and large, and powerful.

I have a question. What does the color purple represent? Will I find out later? Or, is it a status that she will never attain. When she went shopping and looked for a purple dress, and they didn't have one does that represent a rich white status?

By: Patty Keefe

2 comments:

Ms.Esposito said...

I think that the color purple represents something that Celie wants but doesn't have. I don't know, I haven't finished yet either, but we'll see. She wanted a purple dress in the beginning of the story, but settle for blue instead, thinking Mr. wouldn't like it.

Bryan said...

the color purple Represents freedom. As "Celie is submissive." This goes back where you said,

"Her faith tells her that if she is agreeable on earth her life in heaven will make up for it. This is one instance where I feel that religion is stifling."

Shug Avery counters this later in the book by saying, " I think it pisses God off if you walk pass the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back."

This was in reference to the flowers in the field but Celie took this as embracing her own liberation from Albert & not worrying about being submissive to please man or god, but live .justly to her own volition.