Thursday, March 6, 2008

My view as a reader..what's yours?

I wanted to talk a little bit about the book as a reader before I switch gears and forget what it is like to be the reader because my teacher hat is on.

First off, I am having trouble relating to this book. It is set in a different era, and it is among a different culture that I am not a part of directly. I do understand the idea of longing to see someone again. My boyfriend has been away from ten months in Korea and that seems like forever. I can't imagine how Celie feels after decades have gone by without seeing her sister.

I really loved how Celie's father was not really her father. It was upsetting me that her children were being cast aside in Celie's heart because she was ashamed. I was glad to see Celie opened her heart for her children again.

Mister___ has certainly went through a transformation towards the end of the book. I think his isolation may have caused him to reflect on his life. If I were Celie though, I would never befriend a man who hit me! Ever!

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by The Color Purple in a field and don't notice it." I think this book sends a message to its reader to enjoy your life while you are here. Also, it inspires its audience to notice the beauty that you have all around you.

Patty


MySpace Graphics

2 comments:

Ms.Esposito said...

I understand what you are saying here, but I don't think that you have to necessarily have similar experiences to understand on a level what a character is going through. Celie is very timid and undeveloped through most of the book, and while I can't relate to this, I can empathize and appreciate the beauty of Walker's story.

Nicole Maciejewski said...

I think that this is a beautifully written book, and you dont have to be able to relate to what is happening to the characters. I even felt bad for Mr. _____ towards the end of the book, and part of me was hoping that Celie would accept his "proposal" towards the end, because the way that i read it, he was truly sorry for the way he treated Celie, and it seemed like he was a changed man. Everything he was known for at the beginning of the book had changed - he was cleaning, working in the field and cooking. Not that I want to change the ending, but it would be interesting to think about how the ending would change (if it would change it at all), if Celie did consider being "man and wife" again.